In the last ten years of his life, Eduardo Torroja travelled abroad frequently, not only to attend congresses and meetings organised by the aforementioned technical institutions, but to deliver lectures and short courses wherever he was invited, while publishing books and articles in a number of languages. Eighty per cent of his writings in those ten years were published internationally, and only 20% nationally. His most famous book Philosophy of structures (1958) merits special mention, for in it he discussed the variation in the physical behaviour of a number of structures depending on factors such as the materials used and construction procedures, without resorting to mathematical calculation. He also devoted a chapter to his thoughts on structural aesthetics. The book was so widely acclaimed that it was translated and published in English, French, German, Italian and Japanese. His book The Structures of Eduardo Torroja (1958)  was originally published in the United States and translated into Spanish in 1999.

  

 

fig7.png

  

     

     Throughout his professional life, Eduardo Torroja Miret, led technical and scientific progress in concrete structures. But more than that, he authored major works and innovative designs that optimised and rationalised construction processes. In addition to his most prominent works, mentioned above, Torroja designed other distinctive structures: the Nuevos Ministerios underground station, Madrid (1934); Cáceres Theatre (1934); the roof on a church at Villaverde (1935); the Zarzuela Race Track water tower, Madrid (never built) (1935); Alloz Aqueduct, Navarre (1939); the central arch for Pedrido Bridge, La Corunna (1940); the Torrejón and Barajas airport hangars, Madrid (1942-1945); Corts Football Stadium, Barcelona (1943); the Cuatro Vientos airport hangar, Getafe (1949); Ascensión de Xerrallo Chapel, Lérida (1952); Sancti Espirit open Chapel, Lérida (1953); Canelles Dem, Lérida (1956); the roof for Club Táchira, Caracas, Venezuela (never built) (1957); the water towers at Khemisset and Souk-el-Arba, Morocco (1959) and San Nicolás Church, Gandía (1960).

 

 

 

     Eduardo Torroja Miret was distinguished over the years for his achievements. He was awarded an honorary doctorate from the Polytechnic University of Zurich and the Universities of Toulouse, Buenos Aires and Liège, as well as the Catholic University of Chile. He was corresponding member of the Royal Academy of Science and Art of Barcelona and the Academy of Science, Plastic and Liberal Arts of Cordoba. He was appointed Knight of the Grand Cross of Alfonso X the Learned and Knight of the Grand Cross of Civil Merit. After his death he was granted the title Marquis of Torroja.

 

 

 

     Eduardo Torroja died in his office at the Institute for Construction and Cement Engineering on 15 June 1961. In one of his desk drawers he left his colleagues a fond letter inferring that he knew his life was drawing to an end. Shortly thereafter, the institute changed its name to the Eduardo Torroja Institute for Construction and Cement (IETCC) and subsequently to the present Eduardo Torroja Institute for Construction Science.

 

 

     

  twitter facebook GOOGLEFONDOBLANCO

 RAZON Y SER  

eduardotorroja RT @OpenHouseMadrid: Hipódromo de la Zarzuela⁣ ⁣ 🏢 ➡️Eduardo Torroja⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ ⁣ 📷: @ximo_colorist#ohm #ohm2019 #openhousemadrid #openhouse
eduardotorroja RT @ETSIC_UPM: Hipódromo de la Zarzuela E. Torroja vía @e_goberna https://t.co/Z9SJhBCmyB
eduardotorroja RT @OpenHouseMadrid: Hipódromo de la Zarzuela⁣ 🏢 ➡️ Eduardo Torroja⁣ ⁣ 📷 Imagen: @ximo_colorist #ohm #openhouse #madrid #openhousemadrid

Fundación Eduardo Torroja  −  C/ Almagro nº42, 28010 Madrid    −   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.     Privacy Policy     Translated by Margaret Clark

Go to top